Y Camp Stories
Slide 1
This is a story of helping one another overcome our fears...
Slide 2
...a story of hellos and goodbyes, and of joy and tears...
Slide 3
...a story of teamwork, belief and camaraderie...
Slide 4
...a story of being there for someone when they need it most...
Slide 5
...a story of how we turned make-belief into reality.
Slide 6
This is a story of one and many, a story which you can be part of...
Slide 7
...will you write a story with us?
Example Frame
Send us your Y Camp stories! nav1 stories archive volunteer contact content1

As a friend



By HuiEr
Jun 10


What I've learnt over the past Y-camps is that it is full of promises - of friendship, love, and fresh insights. Yet, these are made possible only with commitment on the part of the volunteers'. No doubt, this camp challenges our limits, but its several rewarding moments make the camp utterly wonderful. I'll share with you a few of such experiences I had with my buddy, Hui Mian, in YCC June 2010.

Hui Mian is wheel-chair bound, so tending to her needs during the course of the camp was no mean feat. What may seem to us as simple activities, such as showering, were tough for her. It was thus very much a surprise to me when she managed to conquer the rock wall till the 3m line for our high-elements. Not to mention conquering it - her stepping up to conquer herself and challenge her limits inspire me to this day. Of course, she was able to do so only with help from the volunteers, who became her legs as we hoisted her up and made sure she was safe as she relied on us for support. Beating the odds, she eventually overcame her aim of crossing the 3m mark.

Naturally, I also got to learn of her "crush/boyfriend" over the course of the camp. What struck me significantly was not their constant look-out for each other, nor them sharing with each other every other goodie they had. Rather, their acceptance of each others' disabilities had a great impact on me. Her crush had problems controlling his bowels - yet Hui Mian not only didn't feel disgusted, but was also matter-of-fact when faced with the situation. This set me thinking of my own perceptions of people with disabilities, and I must say I have lots to learn from them.

As much as we hope to help our beneficiaries in the course of the camp, the life of a disabled is perhaps for most of us unimaginable. My stint at the YCC June 2010 with Hui Mian was merely an effort to help as much as I could as a stranger. Hence, what keeps me volunteering for other camps is such that I could be a friend to them over time. I guess, that's what's most important, and what all volunteers should hope to achieve.
divider
content1
Copyright 2011 Y Camp Stories. All Rights Reserved.
Template design by NT Designs