Y Camp Stories
Slide 1
This is a story of helping one another overcome our fears...
Slide 2
...a story of hellos and goodbyes, and of joy and tears...
Slide 3
...a story of teamwork, belief and camaraderie...
Slide 4
...a story of being there for someone when they need it most...
Slide 5
...a story of how we turned make-belief into reality.
Slide 6
This is a story of one and many, a story which you can be part of...
Slide 7
...will you write a story with us?
Example Frame
Send us your Y Camp stories! nav1 stories archive volunteer contact content1

Cherish life



By Bo Jie
Jun 09


Y-Camp thought me to cherish life and treasure everything I have.

I have been participating YMCA activities for the past 3 years but each time there is always something new for me to learn. During Y-Camp there are sorrowful and angry moments but after all the difficulties, what left behind is always the sense of satisfaction.

I grew up in a healthy family, as such, I had very little contact with those misfortunate. In order to interact more with them and also to gain some CIP hours, I decided to join Y-camp in 2009. It was also after that first participation that made me wanting to go back and participate again and again.

In 2009 June Camp, I was partnered with a beneficiary who suffers from down syndrome and autism. Communication was the biggest barrier between us. Most of the time, he did not respond to what I say thus I had to use many hand gestures and other things such as food to get his attention. It was a huge challenge for me as I was an impatient person. Luckily, I have a group of experienced volunteers to encourage him to speak to me and they also thought me ways to improve my patience. Finally, on the 2nd day, he begins to response to my words. What surprised me was that he even shouted out for my name before leaving the camp on the last day. It is that joy and satisfaction that kept pulling volunteers to participate Y-Camp again. Hence even as I am currently serving the nation, I still try to make time for Y-Camp.

I wish more volunteers can come and take part in Y-Camp Challenge and bring happiness to the beneficiaries and ourselves.
divider
content1
Copyright 2011 Y Camp Stories. All Rights Reserved.
Template design by NT Designs